Saturday, April 2, 2016

NXT TakeOver: Dallas Review


It's no secret how much I love NXT. So with a TakeOver event happening the weekend of WrestleMania, I thought it would be a great time to do my first ever in-depth review of an NXT event. NXT TakeOver: Dallas was their way of saying "follow that" to the entire main roster heading into Mania this Sunday. Needless to say, the Show of Shows may have a tough time topping this incredible show. Let's just cut to the chase and talk about how this show was probably the best NXT event I've seen since NXT TakeOver: R Evolution.


NXT Tag Team Championship Match: The Revival vs. American Alpha

I've really enjoyed the tag team division in NXT and no two tag teams have had me enthralled these last couple of months than The Revival and American Alpha. There were a few sloppy moments in the match, but it didn't take away too much. I'm really into both these teams, so they were a great way to open this show. My best friend and I were having a conversation about how these teams were emanating the styles of some of the best wrestling teams. For The Revival, they remind me of Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. For American Alpha, they remind us of The World's Greatest Tag Team. That's a good combination to have in the ring together. One team focusing on tag team psychology, while the other team are phenomenally technical wrestlers. Having American Alpha win the belts was a great opening moment for the show and I can't wait to see which tag team challenges them next because our new tag champs will be ready, willing, and GABLE!!!!

Baron Corbin vs. Austin Aries

This is easily the weakest match on the card, but it's still an intriguing watch for the story and the debut of Austin Aries. I'm waiting to see how Corbin's rivalry with William Regal is going to play out. I know I should talk up Aries a little more, but if you've been a wrestling fan for the last decade, you know who Aries is and what he does. Aries was just a pawn Corbin used to get back at Regal. It may be time for the GM to return to the ring and teach that miscreant a lesson. Time will tell, but I think this match was as good a debut and big match moment you could give to Aries. It forced Corbin to really rise to the occasion and I like when the indy darlings are able to do that with him. He's got a great look, but needs to really step it up in the ring. As for Aries, I'm wondering what they'll be able to do with him next.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn

Zayn displayed his usual flair for air, sailing over the top rope to attack Nakamura outside the ring.
This match was perfect! The moments were truly superb. From Shinsuke's captivating entrance, to the standing ovation for Sami Zayn after the match. And let's talk about the match itself. Fans who weren't used to Nakamura, like myself, found out very quickly why he was called the King of Strong Style. Those hits looked painful and the fact that Sami kept fighting was perfect for his character. This will be an easy Match of the Year candidate for NXT and possibly for wrestling in general. It was an amazing debut for Shinsuke Nakamura and a wonderful NXT swan song for Sami Zayn. There aren't too many words I can use to properly summarize how great this match was, so check it out for yourself. If there's only one match you're going to watch from this fabulous show, make sure it's this one!

NXT Women's Championship Match: Bayley vs. Asuka

As with previous NXT Women's Championship bouts, the crowd was satiated with amazing grappling that transcended gender.
Now this match had me intrigued because there was no real heel here. People liked Asuka and people liked Bayley. They put on another great match on this card, but what really wowed me was the ending. As I was saying to my wife how this match should end, it happened. It wouldn't make sense for the Bayley character to submit, so passing out in pain like Austin did at Mania 13 is about as perfect a loss you can give to a character like her. It leaves you asking questions. Will Bayley be moving up to the main roster soon? Will she stick around and chase the title again? And if Bayley is going to the main roster, who's next for Asuka? Another match that lets the fans know it's a good time to watch women's wrestling.

NXT Championship Match: Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe

The cut around Joe's eye only seemed to enrage the hefty competitor. Whether that was to his advantage was yet to be seen.
I thought it was going to be hard for Joe and Balor to follow those two matches. But two things changed that. The first was Balor coming out sporting a Leatherface inspired getup. The other thing that really helped this match was Samoa Joe getting busted up. The amount of blood that poured down his face was a surreal sight. From there, it was an all-out brawl between the two. The strikes sounded painful. The counters were all very smart. It was a fast and furious encounter that I think topped their match from London. I wasn't too big on the finish, but we'll have to wait and see what comes from it. We might be in store for another match come the next TakeOver special, which I'd be down for. I love seeing Joe and Balor wrestle. Maybe something else can come of this. Oh, and one more thing. BOBBY ROODE!?!? AAAHHHHHH!!!!! That's right! Before the main event, we cut to the crowd and Roode is sitting there. I REALLY hope something comes out of that. Anyways, very good way to end this terrific show.


Final Thoughts: This should be no surprise that I'm giving NXT TakeOver: Dallas a Highly Recommended. They continue to prove with every event that NXT is the place to be and this is an amazing show from beginning to end. Good luck, WrestleMania 32. You're gonna need it!


All rights and images are copyrighted and owned by World Wrestling Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment